May 10, 2021
Pay As You Go Electricity - Is it for You?
Modern life is all about doing things more effectively. We all love convenience especially when it comes to effortless shopping and access to information at the touch of a button.
So why not transform your home life if you could get all this and more?
You may be cautious to change something as important as your electricity provision. But pay-as-you-go electricity may be exactly what you’re looking for.
Not sure what prepaid electricity is? With prepaid electricity, you purchase electricity before you use it. This ensures that you cannot use more energy than you can afford. This can then be used until it runs out, at which time you need to purchase more units.
How Does Pay As-You-Go Electricity Work?
As previously mentioned, this system operates on a pay-as-you-go basis. So prepaid electricity allows you to only pay for exactly what you need*. But how does prepaid electricity work, you may ask?:
- A meter is first installed on your premises and you purchase & load units on the system. This meter measures how many units (measured in kWh) of electricity you use. It only allows the usage of the units you purchase from your supplier.
- You can purchase units by topping up online, via your electricity provider app, in the shop or by phone call.
- The credit will be used up as you use the electricity.
- You’re given warnings of low units in the form of lights flashing on the meter or notifications coming via your mobile device.
- When you hear these warning tones, you can either top up straight away or get an IOU.
Now that you’ve understood how this system operates, it’s time to take a look at the benefits of prepaid electricity:
Prepaid Electricity Benefits
If you’re considering pay-as-you-go electricity, here’s why many homeowners prefer it over the traditional model:
- Manage Consumption: Most meters have flickering lights indicating the rate of consumption. This light will help you remember to switch off lights and appliances when not in use, so you use less power in general. If you notice high usage rates even after switching off most items, you’ll realise which ones draw the most power or when there's a faulty one leaking.
- Benefits for Landlords: Prepaid electricity enables easy management of rental properties. As electricity bills aren't in the landlord’s name, it gives them total peace of mind, convenience and control.
- Benefits for Tenants: Installing a meter means less hassle for tenants as it’s one less bill to worry about. It also helps manage how much each tenant contributes to the electricity costs and helps control how much you spend on your electricity.
- No Bills: You won’t ever have an unexpectedly high utility bill again. You only use what you’ve already paid for.
- Hassle-Free Energy: It’s very easy to top up. You can do it online, via your electricity provider app, in the shop or by phone call.
- Peace of Mind: Even if you run out of credit, you won’t be switched off during evenings or weekends. PrepayPower offers a €20 IOU to our Classic Pay customers if you do happen to run out. If your credit balance goes below €3, you’ll hear a low-volume warning sound. When you hear this, press 0 and # to turn off the alarm and activate the €20 IOU which is then deducted from your next top-up.
If you’re looking to switch today it’s very easy. Just call our sales team on 1800 989 517 and they will arrange the switch-over from your current supplier. Once signed up, you can pick an installation time that suits you.
*Standing charges also apply.Off